Gapps for Android, iOS and PC
Download OpenGApps: the App is a very useful app when you are initially flashing a custom ROM in your smartphone. However, there are flashing ROM and passing through the protocol of Gapps can be complicated especially for those who have never installed a custom ROM on their Android and iOS device.
With that being said today I want to share with you about Open Gapps and how you can install this app on your smartphone. The process may seem a little intriguing, but if you read our guide properly, then you shouldn’t be facing any issue.
What is Open Gapps? If you are also unaware of what exactly is Open Gapps, then don’t worry, in this article we are going to cover all those areas as well.
Custom Rom (Download OpenGapps) for Android, iOS and PC
Installing a custom ROM can provide an endless amount of customisation to enhance your smartphone experience. There are loads of custom ROM out there, and you can literally find the ROM as per your likes. One of the best thing about custom ROM is that you don’t have to root your android device in order to flash ROM necessarily. However, flashing a ROM is not like installing any launcher or theme for your smartphone.
Your smartphones are running on an operating system which can provide limited customisation to your device but installing custom ROM can bring up exciting customisation to the table.
So if you tried to install custom ROM, then you might already know that you need Open Gapps installed on your phone in order to successfully run the custom ROM. By “Successful” I mean the basic apps that you need to your newly installed app. These basic apps are the google apps which you won’t get in a custom ROM. These Google apps are the apps that you get from google like google maps, Google Play, Google Drive and youtube etc. Youtube is a very important app for entertainment, so it is great to run Open Gapps. Of course, you can sideload the google apps after flashing the custom ROM but installing them from the beginning makes your device more secure.
Open Gapps provides various Gapps packages according to your smartphone and its specification. So it is important to know certain things about your smartphone before you install Open Gapps package.
Open Gapps provide by OpenGapps.org to let the custom ROM users the freedom of still using the google client to make the most out of your custom ROM.
Sure custom ROM can be installed without root access but having a root device does give you the ability to directly install Gapps from the recovery mode.
Open Gapps Permission
When you install Open Gapps for the first time, your smartphone tends to neglect the permission that is because the Gapps reset all the permission until you install any of the Gapps. Any permission required for any app including Open Gapps will now work.
However, you would have to grant the permission for installing the app on your smartphone. First, you have to grant permission to your internet storage or SD card.
The packages which are built-in on OpenGapps.org are without any warranty. BY installing Gapps, all your apk warranty will be obsolete so the purpose of installing Gapps is for personal purpose and it should be published on the internet other than OpenGapps.
OpenGapps does not provide you with the official license of Google apks since you have installed it in a custom ROM. Although it provides you the ability to sideload Google app but it is not the convenient way of doing so. So it is your total responsibility to obtain the proper license.
How do Open Gapps works?
Since there are thousands of different Android smartphone, it is quite obvious that all the specification and the system will not be the same on all these smartphones. The chipset, the android version and the manufacturer are different.
Open Gapps provides a great way of dealing with all the android variants. Apps are also designed specifically for a specific model, and any app will not work on any smartphone even if you can do so but you cannot. Google Apps provided by Gapps contain a specific data for a specific model (Smartphone).
Open Gapps let you choose what kind of smartphone system (internally) you have. Open Gapps provides three sections where you have to select the appropriate option for each section.
These sections are the “chipset”, “Android Version” and “variant”. Now again, knowing about your chipset or the variant is something which not everybody knows. So I would suggest you to install a great tool or app which shows all the information about your smartphone.
It will be very helpful for you to choose the appropriate option and now having to face boot loop and any other error during installing Gapps.
Requirements for Open Gapps
- You need a working Android smartphone. Rooting is optional.
- Decent internet connection.
- Android smartphone running on android 5.0 lollipop to android 7.1 Nougat. Open Gapps is not yet available for Android Oreo.
User Interface of Open Gapps
The website is pretty basic with all the necessary things are right on the home screen. There are other sections like supports and about which you may check, but you won’t have to bother with those for this guide.
How to install Gapps on Open Gapps
Gapps provide you with the variation in packages according to how many Gapps you want to install on your smartphone.
- Go to this website http:
- If you want to install full Gapps, then you can simply select “full”, but I recommend you to select “Aroma” because it contains all the useful Google apps and does install any extra google apps which you don’t need.
- In the Chipset, you can select the chipset according to what information you get about the chipset of your smartphone. The chipset may vary according to your processor for me it is Arm 64, so I’d choose that.
- Now After select all the options, you have to simply tap on the download button to start downloading the open Gapps for your smartphone. The files will be downloaded as Zip files.
Open Gapps also has an apk for Android which you can download from third-party sites for free. Although you can get the job done on the official website, it’s good to know that you have an alternative option to download OpenGapps packages. Open Gappsapk will run on Android 5.0 to android 7.0. Since you can flash custom room in any smartphone, low-end devices will run this without any issue.
Here are the steps to download and install OpenGapps apk for Android
- Using your Android smartphone, open google chrome and go to this website to download OpenGapps apk : https://goo.gl/iKSnVy.
- Download the latest version of Gapps from here
- Load the website completely and tap into the “Download apk” button.
- Now the apk file of Gapps will start downloading.
- Go to settings > security and enable “Unknown Sources”.
- Now open the apk file and install OpenGapps.
- Open Gapps will take some moments to install.
- After that, the app will be installed on your smartphone.
How to flash Open Gapps on custom ROM
- Now that you have downloaded the zip files of Gapps, you have to transfer those files to your Android device via USB (in case you download the zip files from your computer).
- Now you have to go to the recovery option from the reboot. Going to recovery mode may vary from different smartphones.
- Now if you have installed a custom ROM already you can wipe or do the process from scratch or you can just leave it like that continue the process by going to “install”.
- Now locate the zip files Open Gapps and swipe flash to start installing Gapps.
- Now Open Gapps in the recovery and select all the google apps manually and tap on “next”.
- You don’t have to tweak anything on the ‘advance option”, just keep tapping next.
- Now tap on “save my choices” and tap on “next”.
- Now simply tap on “install Gapps”.
- Now Gapps will start installing on your smartphone.
Download OpenGapps for PC
Since Open Gapps is an official website to download OpenGapps or you can pretty do the same on your PC for downloading the Gapps. Just visit this website opengapps. and follow the same instructions that I have mentioned above.
Read: Open Gapps for PC
Download OpenGapps for iOS
Open Gapps is for android only since custom roms can be flash on Android devices. iOS does not let you customise the system of your iPhone or iPad. You have to settle for what iOS provides. So if you want Open Gapps, then you should use an Android device.
Open Gapps is a perfect companion for the custom ROM users who are looking for google apps on their smartphone who’s running custom rom.